Thursday 16 June 2011

Freezer burn

So mundane, but I finally emptied out my freezer today. Somehow it seemed easier to buy more meat than to reach into that cold, cold box. I finally took the plunge.

It's surprising how quickly frozen food spoils. I'm throwing out expired mini waffles, mini pizzas, and a Lean Cuisine entree; two mostly-empty freezer-burned tubs of ice cream; a piece of breaded fish in an unmarked baggie; and a half-full bag of frozen beans that tasted like dust.

Happy discovery: a bag of Mediterranean mixed veggies that I must have bought when I wanted to spoil myself. Perfect for tonight's supper.

To ensure that we eat all of this soon I'm making an inventory to print and post on the freezer door:

  • Ground beef (2 unlabelled freezer bags, about 3 pounds total).
  • Stir-fry beef strips (2 packages each >1 pound).
  • Rib roast.
  • Boneless pork chops (5).
  • Bone-in pork chops (2).
  • Pork roast.
  • Boneless chicken breasts (6).
  • Mini hamburger buns (11).
  • Regular hamburger buns (4).
  • Mini hotdog buns (10).
  • Regular hotdog buns (6).
  • Bagels (5).
  • Waffles (4 2).
  • Lean Cuisine entree (1).
  • Pie shell (1).
  • Mini tart shells (12).
  • Vanilla ice cream (unopened).
  • A tiny amount A full container of my husband's favourite ice cream.
  • Homemade beef stock (4 x 2 cups).
  • Cooked pasta for J's lunches (5 x 2 cups).
  • Chopped spinach (500 g and 300 g).
  • Peas (about 500 g).
  • French fries (about 300 g).
  • Blueberries (about 300 g).
An embarrassment of riches in our kitchen. Looks like it's burger time.

No comments:

Post a Comment