As often happens, our big drawer of plastic food-storage containers would not close today.
As rarely happens, I decided to respond without the use of force.
- I spread a clean blanket on the floor, and emptied the drawer onto the blanket.
- I picked out the containers that belong to my mother-in-law and moved them to the front entry.
- I picked out the things that belong elsewhere and put them away.
- I picked out the broken and orphaned pieces and recycled them.
- I tried to find other pieces to recycle, and realized that we do use most of this stuff. So, I picked out three containers that don't stack, and grouped them at the back of the drawer. If we don't use them in the next month then I'll give them away.
- I put everything back neatly and found I had room to add our Pyrex food-storage containers to the same drawer. Having all the food-storage containers in one organized place will make them easier to find and might even reduce the number we need.